Saturday, January 7, 2012

Rest In Peace Pete!!

(This is a QP I made using RDH kit From Earth to Sky- I see I made a boo boo on the photo, should be Bennett!)
I was given sad news this morning that my first husband, Pete, passed away! I met him in 1966 while he was home on leave. I was just finishing a year of technical school shortly after graduating from high school and was taken with the smooth talking older worldly man in uniform. We married on his next leave which was October 21,1966.
In November he was sent to Turkey for a 2 year tour of duty, I followed in January of 1967. My first time for flying, my first time outside the USA and my first time of total terror of doing this all alone at the tender age of 19 and as green a hick little girl as you could find....LOL! Of course this was still during the cold war so we had many "On Standby" situations and did some traveling to other places as well as learning a lot about that part of the country and even a few devastating earthquakes. In October of 1969 we returned to the states headed to San Angelo, Texas until his retirement in late 1970, then we headed back home to Georgia. Due to so many, many adjustments, too much alcohol and a lot of medical problems for me, we divorced about 6 months later. I moved back to Texas in 1976 and lost touch with him, but when I went home for visits I would visit his dad or his brother and check up on all the family. In 1988 he happened to be at home from his many travels and I called, he came to my sister's house for a visit. I took this photo of him, he still looked the same after all those years. Then in 1989, while on a motorcycle trip to my dad's in Tennessee, I met him at the North Carolina/Tennessee Welcome Center, he was in his motorhome and just returning from a trip to Montana. Had a nice little chat again. I have always remained friends with him and tried to stay in touch occasionally. I am so happy he conquered his excessive drinking and enjoyed the latter years of his life traveling and sharing one adventure after another. May his soul be at rest now. I extend to his family by deepest sympathy for their loss of beloved brother and uncle. Luv, Mat

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home